ANDOVER, Minn. – (Aug. 3, 2015) – Anoka County Sheriff James Stuart was nominated for the 2015 National Sheriff of the Year Award through the National Sheriff’s Association. Although not selected as the National Sheriff of the Year, he was awarded a “Medal of Merit” by the National Sheriff’s Association for the positive social impact he has made in his county and for the programs that have been implemented at the Anoka County Sheriff’s Office.
“It was truly an honor to be selected as a nominee by the NSA, and to have our office recognized for our efforts. As an office, we will continue to push ourselves to be better in the future and strive to exceed the expectations of the citizens that we proudly serve,” Sheriff Stuart said.
In awarding Sheriff Stuart the Medal, the National Sheriff’s Association cited the Anoka County Sheriff’s Office efforts to improve community outreach, community education, law enforcement professionalism, service delivery and overall efficiency and effectiveness. The nomination letter stated, “We feel that your valuable contributions to your community and to the field of criminal justice and law enforcement should be commended. We certainly hope that you will accept our respect and admiration for all of your accomplishments.”
Some of the programs implemented under Sheriff Stuart’s leadership include:
- Various anti-heroin initiatives to include outreach, enforcement, education and community forums
- Several anti-human trafficking initiatives to include training, outreach, forums and the development of a county wide task force
- Development of a county wide Prescription Drug Take Back Program which now provides 7 drop box locations
- Expansion of efforts & training to combat domestic violence
- The Tri-County Forensics Laboratory received International Accreditation through the American Society of Crime Laboratory Directors/services Laboratory Accreditation Board to ensure the highest standards are adhered to
- Implementation of a Mobile Digital Forensics Lab for faster delivery of digital forensic services during time sensitive investigations
- Implementation of several outreach programs including the C.A.S.T. youth fishing event (Community and Sheriff Together) and Special Olympics events
- Ongoing pursuit of expanding charitable efforts and partnerships in the community with a focus on “Working together for positive change”
According to Sheriff Stuart, “This award is accepted on behalf of our entire organization who strives to raise the bar as we serve & protect our citizens with pride & honor. I am privileged to lead an organization with so many great people.”