In 2018, voters in MN House District 42A will elect a representative. District 42A includes Mounds View, Arden Hills, Shoreview, and parts of Spring Lake Park and Blaine. You can read about the candidates below, or watch a forum held by the North Metro Mayors Association here.
About: I am humbled and honoredto serve District 42A at the Minnesota House. My passion in this role is to bring all voter perspectives to a common-ground table of dialogue where solutions can be created and progress can happen.I’m a bipartisan listener, a collaborator, a maximizer, and I’m eager to do whatever I can to promote respectful, productivediscussions in the Legislature.
I’m also a local UPS Store owner with solid leadership experience. I train new owners, and I’ve represented store owners at the national level. My background includes achemical engineering degree and an MBA from the University of Minnesota and14 years of corporate work experience.I understand the importance of customer care, trust-basedteamwork, strategic planning, and budget management.
Most important, I’m a husband and dad.Jan and I met as Bethel students, and we’ve been married 35 years. We moved to Shoreview in 1998 when we bought my grandparents’home, andwe raised our three kids here—with the help of some Mounds View Public School teachers. We’ve since added an international daughterand a daughter-in-law.I’m involved in church life and am a strong supporter ofparks and trails, scouting and the BWCA.
Important Issues: These issues are important to 42A residents:
- Supporting our children and vulnerable adults. My top priorities are further investments in three areas: education of our students, school safety, and protection for our vulnerable adults.
- Reining in healthcare costs.While the Legislature successfully curbed individual healthcare costs during the past two years, we need greater cost transparency andmore healthcare coverage choices.
- Conforming state income tax to the federal income tax code.Without a new law, Minnesotans will be pay higher state income tax next spring. The Legislature’s current proposal will protect 98% of Minnesotans from a tax increase.
- Ensuring public safety and curbing distracted driving.We need tougher laws that target distracted driving, which has caused an increase in accidents, injuries, and fatalities. I will advocate for victims of distracted driving and for heightened safety for all Minnesotans.
Goals if Elected: Besides the legislativeissuesnoted, my overarching goal—and highest responsibility—is to carry the collective interests of District 42Ato the Capitol—to be a voice of consensusfor all residents. The only way to do so is theinvestment of time listening to the people of our community. I have andwill continue to host ongoing coffee shop gatherings and town hall style conversations,visit residents at their homes, send legislative update emails, and respond promptly via other communication channels.
District 42A isa diverse community of independent thinkers who talk to each other, respect each other, help each other, and at times agree to disagree. We are better and stronger because of it. Likewise, in the Legislature I prefer to work togetherwith colleagues on both sides of the aisle for the benefit of District 42A residents and all Minnesotans.
- Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association
- Minnesota Chamber of Commerce
- North Central States Regional Council of Carpenters
- The International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 49
- The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 110
- National Federation of Independent Business
- Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Life
- Housing First Minnesota
Connect with Me:
2355 Fairview Avenue, #42A
St. Paul, MN 55113
5203 Hodgson Road
Shoreview, MN 55126
About: Kelly Moller is a career prosecutor, victim rights advocate, and mother of two boys who attend Mounds View Public Schools. Kelly has built her career as an attorney working for a safer Minnesota. She went to law school after friends shared with her that they were survivors of assault, and she’s devoted herself to improving the system’s response to crime victims while also ensuring that the most dangerous offenders are held accountable. Kelly recently collaborated with various groups to improve Minnesota’s hit-and-run law after she was contacted by a victim whose brother was killed by a hit-and-run driver. Kelly and her family attend St. Odilia church,where she has been an active volunteer. She serves on Shoreview’s Public Safety Committee.
Education: Kelly and her family live in Shoreview in large part because of the schools. She is running not only to keep the Mounds View School District strong, but to make sure every child in this state has the same opportunities her kids do.
Affordable healthcare: Kelly believes that healthcare is a human right. She has talked to many people in our community who are struggling to afford medication, doctor’s visits, medical bills, and insurance costs.
Gun violence prevention: As a prosecutor, Kelly frequently sees the negative impact of gun violence in Minnesota. As a mother, she is concerned about the safety of her children, as many other parents are.
Goals if Elected: Kelly will fight so that every child in this state gets to grow up in a community with strong schools, safe streets, and affordable healthcare. When it comes to schools, Kelly supports increasing the number of counselors and psychologists available to students. She also supports funding for special education services, which are mandated but underfunded. To drive down insurance costs, Kelly wants Minnesotans to have the opportunity to purchase MinnesotaCare. She believes in transparency in healthcare costs and state efforts to reduce the cost of prescriptions. To decrease gun violence, Kelly will lead on common-sense solutions that the majority of Minnesotans support, like universal background checks.
- AFSCME Council 5
- Emily’s List
- Minnesota DFL
- SEIU Minnesota
- Minnesota Association of Professional Employees
- Indivisible North Metro
- Minnesota AFL-CIO
- Sierra Club
- Planned Parenthood
- Education Minnesota
- TakeAction Minnesota
- Women Winning
- Teamsters Joint Council 32
- OutFront Minnesota
- Minnesota Nurses Association
- Education Minnesota
Connect with Me: