The candidates on the ballot in District 5 are:
About: Born in Somalia, Ilhan Omar and her family fled the country’s civil war when she was 8-years-old. They lived in a refugee camp in Kenya for four years before coming to the United States, eventually settling in the Cedar-Riverside neighborhood of Minneapolis in 1997.
Ilhan’s interest in politics began at the age of 14 when she was as an interpreter for her grandfather at local DFL caucuses. Watching neighbors come together to advocate for change at the grassroots level made Ilhan fall in love with the democratic process.
In 2016, Ilhan became the first Somali-American, Muslim legislator in the United States. With the help of her committed campaign team, they increased voter turnout by 37%. She was elected to the Minnesota House of Representatives in District 60B, where she’s lived for the past 20 years and where she and her husband Ahmed are raising their three children. Now she’s running for Congress to represent Minnesota’s 5th District.
Important Issues: Ilhan supports:
- Investing in education to ensure that children are set up for success at a young age by guaranteeing access to pre-kindergarten and childcare. We must also make an investment in debt-free college so that everyone, regardless of their income or zip code, has access to a public education.
- Passing legislation for affordable and quality healthcare and believes our country must move toward a single-payer system. We must support the expanded and improved Medicare for All Act, which would provide high-quality healthcare for all U.S. residents and comprehensive coverage, including dental, vision, and long-term care.
- Abolishing ICE and end inhumane deportation and detention programs; oppose all efforts to further militarize our border and attempts to expand the border wall along the southern border; protect Sanctuary Cities and Counties by preventing Trump’s administration from withholding federal funding; fight back against the criminalization of immigration.
Goals if Elected: If elected, Ilhan will work alongside her colleagues to advance a progressive agenda in Washington D.C. In Congress, she will legislatively advocate for an improved and expanded Medicare for all Act; protections for working people, including raising the minimum to $15/hour; abolition of Immigrations and Customs Enforcement; . In response to an administration that promotes the politics of scarcity and seeks to divide us against us, Ilhan will fight to protect what is under threat through strong policy. Together, we’re working to ensure reproductive rights, organized labor and environmental protections.
We need a democracy that guarantees a more equitable and just social. A democracy that gets user closer to the American promise. The America we believe in. The America we deserve.
- Governor Mark Dayton
- Representative Susan Allen
- Representative Jon Applebaum
- Representative Jamie Becker-Finn
- Representative Andrew Carlson
- Representative Raymond Dehn
- Representative Mike Freiberg
- Representative Mary Kunesh-Podein
- Representative Fue Lee
- Representative John Lesch Minneapolis
- Mayor Jacob Frey
- Minneapolis City Council President Lisa Bender
- Minneapolis City Council Member Alondra Cano
- Minneapolis City Council Member Jeremiah Ellison
- Minneapolis City Council Member Steve Fletcher
- Minneapolis City Council Member Andrew Johnson
- Minneapolis City Council Member Jeremy Schroeder
- Minneapolis Park Board Commissioner Brad Bourn
- Minneapolis Park Board Commissioner AK Hassan
- Minneapolis Park Board Commissioner Chris Meyer
- Minneapolis Park Board Commissioner Kale Severson
- CPD Action
- Common Defense
- Democracy for America
- End Citizen’s United
- MN 350 Action
- National Nurses United
- Our Revolution
- People’s Action
- People for the American Way
- Sierra Club
- Stonewall DFL
Connect with Me:
About:I am Jennifer Zielinski and I am running for Congress in Minnesota’s 5th District. I was born in St. Paul and have lived in the Twin Cities my whole life. I went to the University of Minnesota. I currently work in health care as a clinic specialist. I love getting outdoors and enjoying the parks around Minneapolis, because we have one of the best park systems in the country. I also enjoy volunteering my time to make my community better, including volunteering with my own political party.
Important Issues:In Congress I want to fight for issues that impact Minnesota, including education, immigration, and education. I will work for real solutions in immigration and healthcare.
Goals if Elected: I want to be on the educational workforce committee so I can work towards solving our achievement gap that has affected so many of our kids right in the Twin Cities. I will fight against gridlock in Congress, and work across party lines to make this all happen. I ask for your vote on November 6. Thank you.
Endorsements: Did not respond
Connect with Me: